Google

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Understanding Your Market

Today is my first attempt at blogging. I can't believe that I haven't had one sooner.

I picked up a new book yesterday called "Crossing the Chasm" by Geoffrey A. Moore. I have only read a few chapters so far. What a great book. I plan on having it finished for the weekend so I can pass it on to one of my partners so we can get a little brainstorming going. I love think tank sessions. It is amazing what new ideas and thoughts can come out of an open forum type meeting. You just have to make sure you don't get too carried away. That's happened before. I'm guilty of this myself.

It looks as though "Crossing the Chasm" will become a great marketing tool for many years to come. In one way or another it will probably become a text book of some sort for constant reference.

Right off the hop, it breaks down consumers into psychographics. This is a term that I was not completely familiar with. The thought is very intriguing though.

Each and everyone of us has characteristics that make us unique. How each of us perceive new products or services will determine whether or not we find it of any value. By understanding your target audience and each of their uniquenesses and paying close attention to which psychographic they belong to you can identify when, where and how to position your product or service in the marketplace.

The concept of the book so far focuses on the transitions stages of your product throughout it's Adoption Life Cycle. You must prepare and plan for these transitions stages depending the psychographic's of your market segment.

Sounds easy enough right? Unfortunately, what I have found is most enterprises have thick boundaries or walls of communication between many departments.

When the engineers aren't talking to the designers and the marketing team is left in the dark, each team is less likely to make each others job easier. In fact, each teams productivity can be tremendously affected by lack of communication between each of the respective teams.

Do you notice any of these boundaries in your company or organization?

In what ways have you been able to overcome any communication obstacles?

Often your work environment may limit your opportunity for communication. You can be sure that an open and candid relationship with your co-workers and management will allow you to have an effect of positive change. However, it may not be that easy.

This is another topic I'll cover on another post.

The only things we truly have control over are our thoughts!

Scott Wain

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scott,

Your article is amazing. You have shared a lot of useful information that I sure most people can relate to . I would like to hear more of what you have to say. I will keep checking on new things you write about.